Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DIY Artwork With Old Keys



I have been collecting random keys for the last few months. I knew I would want to do some kind of project with them but was racking my brain trying to think of something. Finally, I came up with an idea.  What are your thoughts?


Supplies:

  • Keys
  • Paint
  • Gems
  • Shadow box or wood plaque (with raised edges)
  • String or ribbon
  • Flat pushpins

I started by spray painting all of the keys white.


I couldn't find a shadow box at the craft store so I settled on a wood plaque with raised edges. Unless you're going for a more natural look, you can paint the plaque, like I did.






Once the keys were dry, I started gluing gems on them. I think it looks best to use different gems, so each key is a bit different. I also painted one with glitter nail polish.



After choosing some fun string, I looped it through each key. I made each piece of string a different size so the keys would hang at different lengths.




Finally, I used the pushpins to secure each piece of ribbon. Using a shadow box, or a plaque with raised edges (like I did) will ensure the pushpins are hidden and the keys are 'floating', instead or being flush against the board. If you can only find a flat piece of wood then you can secure secure the ribbon to the back of the wood to hide them and forfeit the floating effect.



Hang it on your wall and you have a one of a kind piece of artwork!


Perfectly Glossed Kisses,


Sutton  



No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty