Monday, October 7, 2013

What I Learned About My Future Style from Pinterest

Pinterest, as it turns out, can teach you a lot about yourself. You go about your day, pinning like the addicted freak that you are, but every now and then you actually go back and look at your boards. You start to notice themes. You learn things. Self revelations happen. “I didn’t know that about myself. Here I was thinking I was a post-modern-steampunk-art-collector, but it looks like I’m actually really into motorcycle parts, floral arrangements and scones.”

I fiend-pinned all through fashion month and never stopped to think about the consequences. Reckless runway pinning, if you will. And just yesterday, I actually looked at my board. And I learned some things about myself – well, more specifically, what I’m apparently going to be wearing this spring. Almost all of my 82 pins fall under one of these categories: sheer (things that probably should have never been sheer but it’s happening so let’s get some inventive undergarments and roll with the times), science, art and cutouts.

 Erdem

 Giambattista Valli

Sheer was everywhere. Everywhere was sheer. Or something. Overlays, yes. But also tops! Skirts! PANTS! I hope you’re working out. I know I’m not. So get ready for that image. But if you look at the sheerness shown (or…not shown…? The absence of being shown…?) at Louis Vuitton, Honor, Misha Nonoo, Prabal Gurung, Giambattista Valli, Erdem, Balenciaga – need I go on? – you’ll notice that why many looks were full-on transparent and therefore require a fashion McGiver of sorts, a lot of looks are actually pretty practical and wearable. These are the looks I’ll be obsessing over, keeping tabs on, saving up for and wearing. Sheer skirts over intricate, elevated leggings. Sheer tops over bandeaus. Sheer high-drama, embellished overlays over a simple tank and jeans. Pieces that are merely (but really coolly) spliced with sheer panels, like the skirts at Prabal Gurung.


 Christopher Kane

Science. If plant diagrams were printed on Christopher Kane skirts instead of textbooks, I actually might have done well in class. I can count the collections on one hand that I have fallen this in love with. I want EVERYTHING. This collection takes up such a big chunk of the SS14 Pinterest board I have that it totally justifies Christopher Kane having his own category in my self-revelatory spring style observations. I will be rocking nerdy botany on pastel neoprene sweatshirts and ethereal organza skirts all spring. I mean, if I’m successful in selling a few organs, of course.


 Prada

Art. Of course you can argue fashion IS art and I am wont to agree with you but now art is actually ON fashion, fashion is actually UNDER that art. It’s getting deep. Again, I only have one designer in my board to precisely illustrate this trend but there’s so much of it that it’s clear I was feeling a deep spiritual connection to it. Prada splashed looks with art that is typically associated with revolution – kind ofpop-art-y, but sketchy and impressionist-y and bold and brilliant. The art conveyed a feminist feel and I liked that as much as I liked the look of painterly treasures covering the luxe tailoring of Prada.


 Acne

 Carven

Cutouts. Cut. It. Out. But don’t. Because I love cutouts so don’t stop. Another trend we have to work out for. But it’s worth it. Keep envisioning Carven dresses when you’re trying to pass on that second cupcake and I swear it’ll work. Alexander McQueen, Acne, Rebecca Taylor, Carmen Marc Valvo, Carven, Alexander Wang – the list goes on. They all sliced into their chic wears with strategic cutouts – some slight, some dramatic, some actually intricate laser-cut patterns or perforated. The results are bold and provocative without venturing into risqué, which makes it perfect for anyone’s wardrobe. I’m excited to work these geometric slices into my wardrobe.


*All images from Style.com

Handbags and Hugs,

Astor

No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty