Monday, April 22, 2013

Thematic Dressing: Focus Your New-Season Shopping on Set Trends

Okay, real talk: I know I'm not the most responsible shopper. I may have even lead a few of you astray. I am the devil on your shoulder (the angel being Suze Orman, I suppose), telling you that you don't really need a savings account but you do need Charlotte Olympia slippers.

But listen, people, I am trying. Daddy didn't just cut off the credit cards, he also cut off our access to the accountant who would cook the books. What? Accountant? I have no idea what you're talking about. Did you just huff some Thierry Mugler Angel?

Anyway, I'm trying to be responsible. Gone are the days I'd just say "I'll take it all, bitch!" at a store and take everything home to try on, promising myself I'd return the cast-offs but really just use the stacks of them as mixed-media bean bag chairs. What helps is getting to know your body and your style. I can look at something and instantly assess how it will look on me. I know I can't do bodycon anything, nor can I do tenty trapeze dresses - a happy medium works for me. And I don't even bother with maxi anything unless it's worth the tailoring bill.

I've upped the ante this season, though. Not only am I shopping for my body and my sense of personal style (for example, I just will never be a jumpsuit fan), but now I am also shopping by my favorite trends. Listen, I love this spring's cutout look as much as the next refined hoochie mama, but geometrically spliced pieces aren't such a great deal for me since I can't wear them to work anyway. And I die over how cool some girls look in sporty ensembles, but I just look like a gym class reject (which is historically accurate). Therefore, I've chosen two trends to shop, and lemme tell you something: it's really helping me save. I'm buying black and white pieces, and grunge pieces. If it doesn't somehow embrace one of those trends (trends I am obsessed with, and trends that are actually totally timeless - black and white happens to be tres-freaking-fashionable right now, but when will it ever be passe?), I don't buy it.

I strongly encourage you to do the same - with whatever trends you want. In case one of the trends I picked does strike a fancy with you, here are some of my favorite pieces.

Black & White: 


Black and White

Tibi
bergdorfgoodman.com



Each X Other striped jacket
$1,415 - net-a-porter.com


White skirt
windsorstore.com


Zara leather pumps
zara.com




Grunge:




Grunge


Dress
pixiemarket.com


Colorful t shirt
etsy.com


Brian lichtenberg
$99 - brownsfashion.com


Madewell camo jacket
madewell.com


Urban renewal
urbanoutfitters.com


Torn jeans
$23 - newlook.com


Floral print boots
gojane.com


Pull Bear leopard sneaker
$76 - pullandbear.com


Gathering Eye spike earring
$16 - generalpants.com.au


Mawi spike earring
stylebop.com



Handbags and Hugs,

Astor 

2 comments:

  1. Me encanta el blanco y negro. Adoro poder leerte. Quiero invitarte a echarle un ojo a mi ultimo shooting, Skinny y cuentame que es lo que más te ha gustado. Besosotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black and white trend. But for some reason I don't own any piece that resembles that trend.

    xx Denysia Yu
    http://thatlaitgirl.com

    ReplyDelete

health and beauty