Monday, October 29, 2012

Fashion Does Halloween

Thank goodness power is still on here in New York and I can blog on important things like Halloween - I hope those of you who plan on celebrating are able to because that means this rude hurricane has blown over. 

I’m not really sure when Halloween costumes started to be sold at prices that imply these companies think they’re designer or something. I mean, they’re poorly made, as far as women’s costumes they require little to no fabric – and really, they’re not actually made of fabric but more the kind of material you would use to cover a lawnmower in a rainstorm. I’m pretty sure they’re all highly flammable. And you can only wear them once. I miss the good old days when I was younger and costumes were priced appropriately for one-time, garbagey wear, or when I had the time and energy to put into making something. I was a kickass Liza Minelli in Cabaret one year. Although, no one else in my fifth-grade class got it. Anyway, if you’re a socialite, celebrity, mysteriously famous scenester, etc., and you have money to burn on a costume that won’t burn – and amazing parties to be photographed at in it – dressing up for Halloween can be quite the festivity. The sky’s the limit. Some stars, or their teams, are super creative – surprising for some, not for others like fashion designers. And they have the world at their fingertips when it comes to supplies and props and such. In celebration of Halloween, I thought it would be fun to look at some of the best costumes that have been donned by fashion stars.


Marc Jacobs' costume parties are notorious, so it's no wonder that he goes full-on wackadoo for his own get-up. I don't know what's going on here but it's disturbing and elaborate and I like it. And while it's not of Jacobs' or Robert Duffy's doing, the mask that's photo-bombing in the back adds extra horrifying points.



This one of Agyness Deyn and Alexa Chung speaks to me because my best friend and I did this costume duo in high school, and it excites me to see models/fashion-multi-hyphenates have a sense of humor and geek out like us plebeians. 



Have to include Twiggy. Because it's Twiggy. And she makes the chicest Morticia.



I hate to let Alexa Chung sneak in here twice, but this costume is everything. It is the costume of my wildest dreams. A gorgeous Marie Antoinette that's opulent and rich instead of the "Sexy Marie!" flammable ones sold at Party City? AND the beheading wound? Brilliant. Genius. Bravo.



Gotta love Giles Deacon for kicking it old school. There's something ironically brilliant in this simplistic, child-during-the-1960s costume.



Believe it or not, I'm not one to normally pay attention to Brooke Shields, but what a good sport. She looks totally bats**t as Fester, but in a good, well-planned costume sort of way, and she's doing it to go trick-or-treating with her kids. Which is awesome. What a good sport.



This one's out of left field: Michelle Trachtenburg. This costume is expertly executed. And it happens to be from one of my favorite movies (She's Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas if you didn't know, but you should, so go watch it, nerd). She really committed, I give her major props - I wonder if she did Sally's weird rag doll walk, too.


* Images from http://www.fashionologie.com and http://www.harpersbazaar.com.

Handbags and Hugs - and stay safe everyone!

Astor

No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty